Saturday, January 31, 2009

Driving from San Antonio, Texas USA to San Ignacio, Cayo District, Belize

After being disgusted paying all the tolls driving through Mexico the last two times, I decided to take the “librementos” as much as possible this time.  It was a partial success since I’ve always wanted to drive through a lot of the tiny little villas along the way.  However as time came to a stop several times I decided to take the toll roads between Villahermosa and Mititlan.

I’ve come to a few of conclusions regarding the drive. First, toll roads are worth it if you want to get there at top speed but you will miss out on some of the most beautiful scenery or desolate wasteland.  Second, it is far better to go around a major city than through it. The exceptions are if you want to see the city or a major highway goes straight through it. Third, the coast along Veracruz is worth seeing and staying for awhile. Fourth, If you break a law, don’t bitch. Just pay the bride and hold out for $20.00 USD as long as possible. Fifth, if you get lost in a major city, have a GPS and a good map. Sixth, take the toll roads between Villahermosa and Mititlan.

In a nutshell, I drove when I wanted and stopped when I felt like it. The drive took about 4 ½ days but I only drove during daylight hours and some early evening hours.  I've done the drive in 2 1/2 days. I drove 1,870.9 miles and slept at one Sam’s Club and three PEMEX gas stations in my camper shell. I'll write down the route and some cool places to stop tomorrow but for now there's a numeric breakdown below.

  • Total Days:  4.5
  • Total Miles: 1870.9 
  • Total Hours Lost: 3.5 
  • Food:  $21.69 ( mainly grocery)
  • Fuel:  $169.49
  • Bribes:  $40.00
  • Insurance:  $97.10 (4 days in Mexico and 30 days in Belize)
  • Tolls:  $14.71
  • Temporary Import Tags:  $31.04
  • Total Costs:  $374.13

Regards,

Benedict Kim

www.esotericvision.com

No comments:

Post a Comment