Monday, August 4, 2008

Tulum, Quintana Roo, Mexico

I hit up all the people that promised me business before but got nowhere. It’s looking pretty bleak. Here’s the breakdown for me to get from San Miguel de Allende to Tulum mostly using the toll roads.

1,955 kilometers or 1,185 miles from door to door
$ 1,810 MXP in fuel costs at $71 MXP per liter
$ 907 MXP in tolls
$1000 MXP to bribe the nice policemen
$ 50 MXP for food


So… here’s how it works (at least in my mind). I have my FM3 and I’m doing the right thing but I’m really fucked. Why you ask? Well first, I can’t write off the fuel costs for a variety of logistical reasons. Write me and I’ll spell it out for you. Secondly, I had to bribe the nice policemen. Third, I’ll have to pay full taxes on anything I earn. Fourth, I can’t really write off any expenses for food and there is no per diem standard write off.

For you, expect to pay tolls that add up to about half of what you pay in fuel here in Mexico. That’s the number I’ll count on from now on. Let’s see…. It’s $72 MXP for a liter and that converts to about 270 MXP per gallon or $2.70 USD/ gallon right now. I get 18.5 miles a gallon and it costs my 14.59 cents per mile. Add the tolls at 2:1 and it adds up to about $0.21885 USD per mile for me to travel across Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment