Thursday, September 11, 2008

San Ignacio, Belize: Mora Soup. It may be poisonous.

More good tasting stuff from south of the border, I just tried ?mora soup? this morning! Jose, who works at Midas Resorts and is from El Salvador, grabbed a bunch of leaves and stems from ?a plant in the bush? and threw them in a pot to boil. I picked out the inch worm crawling around trying to avoid it?s demise. I thought the plant was cilantro at first but was told the plant is ?mora? and this is ?mora soup?.

Jose cut up some tomato, onions, and beat a couple of eggs to throw in the pot with some chicken consume and the ?mora?. He also asked for my potato. Fair, since I asked to try the soup. He served up a bowl of this stuff and it was excellent. Other than the salt in the chicken cosume, it was probably a very healthy vegetarian soup. We ate it with a few corn tortillas on the side. I just made a batch this evening under his guidance. Even Maria tasted it.

What the hell is this ?mora? that I?ve been consuming in my soup? I?ve never seen it and I usually go local as possible. Mora soup is made from the plant ?yerba mora?. Not to be confused with the mora chile plant, it a completely different species. I haven?t noticed it in Mexico or Belize before. Evidently, Guatemalans and El Salvadorians love it.

Now I did ?google? yerba mora and found the plant. This is how it seems to stack up. It?s also known as black nightshade in English and is an invasive species. Some internet sites claim black nightshade as deadly poisonous. However, I find this confusing since everyone is still alive and the Guatemalans have it listed as their ?most edible weed?. The taste is excellent and it kind of reminded me of spinach. If you get the chance, try it. Maybe just don?t eat the berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment