Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bitch to a Large Rasta

I'm really not sure if they are Rastafarian or not. However, between the dread lock hair and, red, green, and yellow colors I'm kind of assuming that they are.  I've been working in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize for the last three weeks. One of the notable memories are the "Rastas" and other Belizeans carving away at wooden animal figurines with shards of broken beer bottles. It's really quite effective.

One of the other notable memories is one Rasta's attempts to sell me marijuana. The skinny little guy was determined to sell my something if not pot. Perhaps it's because my hair is getting long. When my hair was short everyone thought I was a cop.  I've been offered several times while here walking back and forth in town or chatting with the locals (along with the wooden figurines, tours, tacos, burritos, and property). Apparently it's here if you want it. 

I'd be remiss to mention that possession of marijuana  is a federal offense in Belize. If caught and convicted,  you'd probably wind up in prison bitch to a large Rasta. I'd also like to point out that homosexuality is once again a federal offense and you'd be in "violation" of that law as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment