Thursday, January 15, 2009

Broadway Camera: Grey Marketing Dealings

It's interesting being back here in the USA. As a traveler, I get to see quite a few different subcultures.  I find that the bottom end of the spectrum is no different than other countries. For example, I was in a bind to get my new camera. I ordered the 5D Mark II from Precision Camera in Austin, Texas. If I could have waited, I'd have gone that route. 



Instead I cancelled and went with Broadway Camera (www.broadwaycamera.com) of New York. I ordered and confirmed verbally with the salesman that I'd get a domestic model 5D Mark II. They shipped a chinese kit stripped of it's lens. Since I'm in a bit a crunch for time I'll keep it. 



Here's the warning I'll give about Broadway Camera and their kind.  First, a grey market purchase like mine is NOT covered by the manufacturer warranty. You'll have to find your own insurance. Second, they ALWAYS try and up sell you after the purchase. It's ALWAYS a crappy add-on item that's way too expensive. Basically, buyer beware. Broadway Camera is dishonest. Oh, check out B&H Photo and Video or Beach Camera. Both of those are honest. 

Regards,

Benedict Kim
www.esotericvision.com

No comments:

Post a Comment