Friday, October 24, 2008

San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize: Joe’s Bike Rental

If you don’t feel like paying way too much for a golf cart rental like me, consider renting a bicycle. Brian at Sueno del Mar pointed me to Joe’s Bike Rental. It’s located on the north end of San Pedro one block back from Front Street. They’ve got a sign hanging and everyone seems to know where it’s at so just ask. It does seem that they’d run out inventory fast in busy season.

The normal daily rental for a vintage beach cruiser is $18.00 BZX or about $9.00 USD. Brian got me the local special at $10.00 BZX.  The bike was old but otherwise in perfect working condition.  I did see a couple of new bikes there but that was it. The attendant (who may be Joe) got me one with a little basket up front for my backpack and a lock with chain. Lock the bike to something when you leave it.  It’s always that 1 in a 100 asshole that will steal your bike to go four blocks.

You can travel the streets but I recommend going along the beach.  Other than the main roads near San Pedro, the beach is actually in better condition for travel. I’m told you can ride about 8 miles north and 5 miles south (or vice versa).  I rode a bit of the rural roads and they truly are crappy with not much to see. I rode north along the beach and was happy.  You’ll have to steer around construction at times but not too much.  You won’t be able to travel the beach easily in a golf cart out of town or during busy season either..  Stop and see Linda at Coco Locos for a cold one once you cross “the bridge” north of San Pedro.

 

Regards,

 

Ben

 

www.esotericvision.com


No comments:

Post a Comment